Signature Recipes from Award Winning Red Cabbage Chef
Braised beef cheek and chilli suet pudding, braised red cabbage and Au poivre sauce.
Serves four – estimated prep time is 4.5 hours
Beef cheek Ingredients
- 25g of beef dripping
- 675g of beef cheeks
- 1 large hot chilli, finely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stem of celery, finely chopped
- 1 whole bulb of garlic sliced in half
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 400ml of red wine
- 150ml of meat stock
- Preheat the oven to 160c
- Season beef cheeks with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the dripping in a casserole pan, add the seasoned beef cheeks and colour on all sides.
- Add all the vegetables including the chilli, bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, again colour the vegetables all over and then cover with red wine, meat stock and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Place greaseproof paper over the ingredients and place the casserole lid on. Place into the pre heated oven and slow cook for 4 hours.
- Remove casserole dish from the oven and allow to cool down.
- Once the beef cheeks are cool, strain the liquid from the dish and push all of the vegetables through a strainer with the back of a ladle. Place liquid in a pan and reduce by half.
- Dice beef cheeks into 1cm cubes and add to the sauce, reduce on a low heat for a further 30 mins until the beef cheek mixture has thickened.
- Leave now while making the suet pastry.
Suet Pastry ingredients
Estimated prep time – 1.5 hours
- 250g bakers flour
- 8g baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150g shredded beef suet
- 3-4 tbsp of ice cold water
- Place bakers flour, baking powder and salt into a large stainless steel bowl and mix.
- Rub in the beef suet then add enough iced water to bind into a fairly soft, pliable dough.
- Leave it to rest for 20mins.
- Divide the pastry into four, then roll out the pastry into four thin squares.
- Grease four 120ml ramekins, line the ramekins with the suet pastry and make sure it overhangs the rim of the ramekin.
- Add the beef cheek mixture to the ramekins and fill just before the top.
- Roll out four smaller squares of the suet pastry and place on top.
- Trim all excess pastry with a knife.
- Prod the middle of the top of the suet before steaming.
- Place the puddings in the top of a steamer over boiling water, cover and steam for 45mins.
- Check water level occasionally.
- Suet puddings are now ready to be turned out.
Braised red cabbage ingredients
Estimated prep time – 1 hour
- ½ small red cabbage
- 125ml white wine vinegar
- 125ml caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the cabbage into half and remove the solid root. Carefully shred leaves into fine ribbons.
- In a large stainless steel pan, heat the vinegar, add the sugar and once it has dissolved, add the shredded cabbage and stir to cover all of the cabbage in the vinegar.
- Turn the heat down to its lowest setting and place a lid onto the pan.
- Slowly braise the cabbage for about 1 hour until it’s tender and the vinegar has reduced into syrup. Adjust the seasoning as necessary.
NB- If the cabbage is a little sharp add a touch more sugar. The cabbage will store for up to 10 days in the fridge.
Au Poivre sauce ingredients
Estimated prep time for this dish – 1 hour
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 3 star anise
- 20 green peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups of cognac
- 4 cups of red wine
- 500ml of veal stock
- Sweat off the shallots, garlic, thyme, star anise, bay leaf and green peppercorns in a stainless steel pan.
- Add the cognac and red wine, reduce by half, add veal stock and reduce by one third.
- Pass the hot sauce through a fine sieve, let it settle for 10 mins then pass through a muslin lined sieve.
- Keep warm, sauce the beef suet immediately.
Dont feel like cooking?
Save this recipe for another day and take advantage of the great member special at The Red Cabbage Restaurant.
Enjoy a 7 course degustation meal for ONLY $69pp. Thats a saving of $30pp.
Book today on 08 9367 5744 or email firstname.lastname@example.org